At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a creative video producer to join our team on WordPress.com. This role will report to the Director Creative, Growth Marketing and focus on planning, producing, editing, and shipping instructional, announcement, and explainer videos for YouTube, social channels, and WordPress.com.
We want this candidate to have both a proven understanding of both hands-on production and editing, as well as a deep understanding of building out a successful video presence on YouTube and beyond. As someone who feels as at home in an analytics dashboard as an editing timeline, you’ll work with our creative team and talent to:
- Understand and deliver on a successful video strategy for YouTube and Social Media, from optimizing content discovery to ensuring that we double down on content that best meets customer needs
- Produce and edit beautiful, engaging educational, release, and brand video content
- Set up a scalable production pipeline to ensure both shipping velocity and quality of video content
- Define, measure, and report on success metrics to iterate forward
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the team lead and other teams at Automattic to put an effective YouTube and Social video strategy in place
- Plan, develop, and produce beautiful, useful, engaging instructional, brand, and release video content for YouTube, Social Media, and Owned properties
- Write (with the possibility of voicing and presenting) video content
- Translate existing instructional and announcement content into compelling videos
- Collaborate closely with content and creative team peers to develop, produce, and ship engaging video content at scale
- Work with internal talent and contract partners to scale and ship compelling video content at pace
- Measure and report on the impact of your work, defining opportunities and room to iterate towards growth and success
Deep expertise in the following areas will be vital for success in this role:
Video Strategy - You have a strong sense of what makes educational and brand video succeed onsite, on YouTube, and on social media. You know that video doesn’t end when you hit publish, and that half of the battle is optimizing for discoverability, subscriber uptake, and sharing.
Video Production - You understand and can turn your hand to every step of video production, from idea to finished article. You’re as comfortable bringing a UI to life onscreen as you are guiding onscreen talent to do their best work.
Video Editing: You have extensive experience in editing beautifully cut videos in Resolve, Premiere, FCP or similar, including basic sound design and mixing, titling and basic motion graphics (you’ll collaborate with a motion graphics designer on the latter, too).
Video Operations - You lose sleep over streamlining production pipelines, working smarter not harder to batch and move seamlessly from script to storyboard to production, post, and sign-off.
Communication - You have an uncanny ability to express complicated concepts in easy to understand ways, with excellent written, oral, and illustrative communication styles. You’re a phenomenal listener and consider alternative perspectives when identifying the most effective path forward.
Collaboration - You come at video with collaboration in mind: from wrangling in-house talent to collaborating with the content team, handing off motion graphics requirements to working closely with contracting partners.
Nice to have: While not a requirement, on-screen presenting and voiceover abilities would be a huge asset, as well as an understanding and knowledge of the WordPress ecosystem, including but not limited to having built websites on the WordPress platform, being a member of the WordPress community, and/or understanding the various products and tools within the Automattic portfolio.
How to apply:
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic accurately. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include a link to your reel or portfolio, as well as your answer to the following question in your cover letter:
- Tell us about a video or channel you produced and how you made it succeed from both a production and promotional standpoint
Applicants who do not submit their cover letter with their answer will not be considered.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.