Input is looking for News Writers with a focus on one or more of the following: technology & devices, social media, gaming, internet culture & trends, streetwear culture, and design. We’re after great stories and thoughtful reporting around the companies, people, objects, platforms, and ideas making waves right now.
Input is a tech, design, and style focused publication dedicated to bringing a new perspective on the most important, interesting, and vital stories of this moment — on a platform that is uniquely modern, with voices that are authoritative, insightful, and cut through the noise.
Applicants should have demonstrable professional daily writing experience (it’s okay if you’re just getting started or have written for smaller publications), and a clear understanding of the 24/7 news cycle. You should be comfortable with a high volume of information and lots of incoming ideas / requests on a busy day. You should be very familiar with the way news travels on the web and social networks both as a consumer and as a creator.
Applicants should have a knack for zeroing in on the heart of a story, strong opinions and knowledge about their chosen subjects. The ideal candidate is capable of writing intelligently with a voice and point of view that honors the reader’s intellect. This person must be able to source and create multiple pieces a day (not simply text, but mixed-media digital work in a variety of lengths / styles), work in a fast-paced newsroom, and deliver clean, accurate copies.
Do you have a fascination with the way things work? Sharp takes and a critical eye? If you’ve got these qualities and you also happen to be a knockout writer, we’d like to talk to you.
- Writing 3-5 news-focused / short-form stories per shift
- Pitching ideas and fielding / working through pitches with editors
- Working with editors on a per-project basis on essays, investigative pieces, and larger feature stories
- Basic proofreading and fact-checking
- 2+ years reporting and writing experience in one of our areas of coverage (technology & devices, social media, gaming, internet culture & trends, streetwear culture, design)
- Strong curiosity that drives you to get to the bottom of a breaking story fast
- Ability to turn in clean, bright, opinionated copy without significant editor handholding
- Understanding of modern publishing platforms
- Experience tracking down sources and doing original reporting
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 161 million readers turn to our brands — Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, Input, Gawker, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad — to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG is headquartered in New York City.