BookNook is on a mission to reinvent how students are taught to read. Our app makes it easy for tutors to teach fun & effective reading lessons at any reading level so that every student becomes a great reader. The company’s SaaS curriculum and network of 100,000 tutors provides an evidence-based approach to High Impact Tutoring that is unparalleled in the industry. We are also currently expanding our mission to include math.
This individual will lead their team to drive consistent and dramatic growth of our educator community. They will lead the definition, planning and execution of all operations and people functions driving radical growth and success of our tutor corps. This highly strategic leader plays a key role in the mission critical work of developing and retaining a vibrant corps of educators who deliver highly effective 1:1 and small group learning experiences while serving as the BookNook’s most important brand ambassadors.
This role will report to the VP, BookNook Tutor Experience.
- Leads division finance function including monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports.
- Develops and monitors division level budget and ensures P&L are produced monthly.
- Manages Tutor Experience semi-monthly payroll run in an accurate and timely manner.
- Tracks revenue to expenses and monitors revenue goals to actuals.
- Develops project plans and holds regular meetings to ensure deliverables are being executed on time.
- Build a collaborative and consultative working environment with department heads to accurately articulate key project objectives and deliverables.
- Provides high-level problem solving support across teams ensuring quality delivery of overall projects.
- Owns evaluation and related improvements through timely quality checks and ongoing communication.
- Creates sustainable and effective systems capable of selecting, hiring, and onboarding a team of 4,000+ tutors over 12-18 months.
- Performs analysis and forecasting of the hiring needs for functional teams within the Tutor Experience division.
- Leads planning, developing, managing and overseeing employer branding activities within all HR functions and in collaboration with the VP, Tutor Marketing.
- Motivates employees to be brand ambassadors and leads planning and execution of employee referral programs.
- Leads the design, planning, and executing of recruitment and selection processes for tutor corps.
- Leads the team that implements employee satisfaction assessments and workshops and recommends measures to improve employee retention.
- Leads the development of reward programs that are scalable and competitive, enabling the attraction and retention of top talent, and aligning with BookNook’s culture and business strategy, including compensation structures, benefits, incentive, equity plans and recognition programs.
- Provides subject matter expertise and accurately interprets, counsels, communicates, and educates BookNook employees, managers, and leaders on pay decisions, policy interpretation, and job evaluations.
- Supports the performance feedback process, collaborating with the Talent team to ensure it integrates seamlessly with our compensation processes.
- Conducts market research, analysis and recommends adjustments to ensure our current pay practices remain highly competitive and ensure internal equity.
- Works with the VP, Tutor Experience to prepare presentation materials for the BookNook Leadership Team and Board of Directors.
- Partners with leadership and the BookNook HR team to develop, implement and communicate structured career pathways.
- Manages US benefit strategy, design, administration and communication to support a dynamic growing BookNook tutor population.
- Leads HR system evaluation, selection, configuration and implementation, looking for opportunities to leverage technology to streamline and improve processes, workflow, utilization and reporting.
- Develops, analyzes and produces regular workforce and HR metrics reports in support of continuous improvement.
- Develops and implements an approach for real-time and periodic goal setting and performance feedback processes, including technology and metrics for tutor corps and division members in collaboration with BookNook’s HR team.
- Builds and manages a simple but sufficient competency model for the business by creating progressive competencies at each primary level and defining potential for next level roles and/or compensation.
- Continuously improves talent management tools and resources for leaders.
- Evaluates and strengthens employee onboarding processes to build new employee alignment with and understanding of company mission, values, and culture.
- Works with the VP, Tutor Marketing and team to create innovative initiatives to drive employee engagement and retention.
- Develops and rolls out a structured approach to address talent gaps including talent assessments, career paths, organizational learning strategies and succession planning.
- Builds an engagement survey process, model and cadence including communication, technology and action planning.
- Works with VP, Tutoring Marketing and Experience to strategize, design and deliver appropriate employee and leadership development programs.
- 8+ years of talent acquisition and management experience, particularly building a high functioning talent acquisition system for a high growth company.
- 3+ years of experience devising and leading talent strategy in a fast-growth environment at the Director or above level.
- Strong experience in workforce planning, forecasting and developing, while ensuring appropriate resource plans for the recruiting function.
- Proven success building recruiting and talent acquisition programs with detailed reporting metrics that illustrate and document the team's capabilities and accomplishments.
- Possess strong business acumen and experience working with and recommending creative recruitment tools, technologies and platforms to enhance process efficiencies.
- BS, BA (or equivalent) - MBA/advanced degree is a plus.
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills and thorough attention to detail.
- A passion for retaining and developing a best in class team of HR professionals.
- Experience creating a strong employment brand leveraging social media, marketing and other platforms.
- Experience and proficiency in project and change management.
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills.
Perks and Benefits
- Work remotely: Live and work wherever you like in the US.
- Health insurance: We offer medical, dental, vision and pet insurance for all our team members.
- Time to recharge: We offer unlimited PTO, 12 paid holidays, and two company-wide weeks’ off.
- 401(k): With 3% company match.
- Employee stock purchase program.
- Retreat: Join us for our annual company get-together.
- Home office setup: Get a laptop + $100 monthly stipend for home expenses.
Join a company with a mission. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast, and has already helped tens of thousands of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We're a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends, and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a tangible difference in the world every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
BookNook embraces diversity and is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.